Thursday, October 23, 2008

reading Nora Roberts

Jewels of the Sun
Tears of the Moon
Heart of the Sea

I thought that romantic novels were kind of cheap and only mystifies the realities of love. All were cliche and nothing that I have never heard of. Predictable. Almost brainless as it's made to only pull at your heart strings, even tingle some hot blood.

I wouldn't say otherwise for the three novels of Nora Roberts, or even many of her novels as I have read them. However, before a fan shoots fire at me, I would like to add that she's a favorite author of mine. And I tell you, I don't know why.

The novels by Nora Roberts share a pattern, I can see them well. First, the images of the main characters are perfect--not perfectly perfect but perfectly imperfect as I think the author already knows the secret of the trade. Nevertheless, the god/goddes-like physical features are still there, as if the characters were brought down from the pedestals of Mt. Olympus. They could only make one wonder, "Where on earth could I find such creatures?" Downside is that Roberts had the tendency to create stereotypes in her novels. I think the men looked the same save for some features. It's like they have "protagonist" written on their foreheads.

Second, there seemed to be a pattern of the compatibility of the superior and the inferior. The guys rich, the girls in distress. The girls strong in character, the guys melt. It's almost ideal, almost predictable as I have already said.

On the other hand, what I appreciate about the novels are the plots. I specifically like the element of magic in the novels. Love is magic, so they say , I understand that. But magic was beautifully crafted in many of Roberts' novels that makes the figurative literal, tangible and descriptive. We think, "love is magic" but either is vague unless brought into a specific context.

That brings me to my second point which is language. I like the language. It's highly descriptive like it's going to come out of the page, at least for me. The characters and plot may be out of this world and a logical mind would say that they're unrealistic but Roberts' language makes them all seem true. I guess that's a skill that every writer should have else nothing.

Third, I like the local color. I like how Roberts' use places like Carolina, Montana, New York and of course, Ireland. I think I love Ireland now. Haha! I don't know exactly if the descriptions are accurate since I haven't been to Ireland but even before seeing, I believe. Does it make me an idiot? I think I can feel the breeze, see the sea and taste the Guiness on my lips. Maybe Ireland is really a magical country afterall. ^_^

Fourth, I also appreciate how Roberts tried to inject feminist values in the novels. I can see that. I remember one chance in "Heart of the Sea" where Brenna questioned Trevor on his choice of workers based on gender. Also, Roberts makes sure that the guys in the novels may appear god-like with riches and sculpted bodies but would sooner come out like an idiot in handling their women. I'd like to quote from somewhere,"Men control the world, women control the men." Somewhere in the middle, there would be a reversal of superior-inferior roles and that's where the deeper connection would come from. The style solidifies my own belief that women's so-called weaknesses are actually strengths that many women fail to manipulate to their advantage. bwahahaha!!!

Would there be no one who would make movies out of her novels?!

Always-on security tools provide safer ways to connect and share anywhere. Find out more. Windows Live

Make the most of what you can do on your PC and the Web, just the way you want. Windows Live

No comments: