Thursday, October 2, 2008

digging in the well of my soul

I feel that it's Friday today. My students are having their holiday tomorrow because of the Korean foundation day but we still have our classes =( I hope that it's a holiday for us too!!

This morning, I got my girl's health certificate from the city hall. There was required health seminar so I went there at 9 to take it. Of course I wasn't the one who should take it, but my girl's shift ends at 10 and then it would be too late. We still needed to sleep. Despite me as proxy (of course they didn't know that), everything went well. I was a little bit nervous when I went there because I was a little worried that I might get caught. In addition, I lost the receipt as proof that I already paid for the seminar. So everything ended at around 10:30 and my girlfriend treated me to pizza and ice cream ^_^

I started to learn the japanese Hiragana today!! Really, I want to learn something again. I wondered for a moment why wouldn't I just continue learning Korean since I already know the basics but then again I thought that I have always wanted to learn Nihonggo since I was a freshman in highschool!

Truly, I'm going back to my fascination in manga and anime. Now, I'm beginning to like Japanese drama too. I thought I should go back to where I first got my inspiration to write. The japanese ideals really attracts me and just how they are able to give symbolisms to human experience. I find it heartwarming that despite the fact that Japan is a technologically advanced country, they are very much in touch with their emotions. In addition, history tells us that the Japanese were devastatingly cruel during the world war II. People from the countries that were victims of the war are still holding some grudge, if not a lot, because of the thousands of deaths and abuse before. In spite of this, Japanese ideals as portrayed in their manga and drama are giving importance to human relationships, friendship, compassion and belief in the ideals that people may tend to forget because of anger, revenge and loneliness brought about by past experiences and/or trauma.

As for me, I believe in those ideals too. I hate the forgetfulness of the more important things in life. I hate how money seems to blind people into believing that it could replace true relationships; how work consumes most of the day without barely a time to look at the stars; how we sometimes lose our confidence in ourselves trust in those around us.

I am being my idealistic self again.
Is that so bad?

No comments: