Thursday, October 9, 2008

looking back

I got my evaluation for regularization today after 6 months on probation.

I was really, really nervous when my AM supervisor told me to wait for the operations manager because he's going to discuss my evaluation. It felt like I wanted to go home right away. I was scared that I wouldn't get to be regularized.

When the manager talked to me, he gave me good feedback on my classes. He said that I handled my classes smoothly and that I was able to make good rapport with my students. He said I handle my classes with 'class'. Hehe... He also said that I'm so patient with my beginner students although he said I should learn more Korean expressions. I'm not really the teacher who likes using korean expressions as much as possible. We're learning English anyway. And besides, I'm not very good with pronunciation so I wouldn't want to add that to the confusion.

So that went well and of course, he gave me some recommendations on points that I can still improve. For the korean management part, it was ok since I didn't have any complaints from my students for the past 6 months. I', actually quite happy about that since I heard other teachers get complaints about all sorts of stuff from student refunds (which would be a big minus on the evaluation) to pronunciation and diary checking. I guess I was lucky with my students! It really pays to build rapport with students and treat them as kindly and friendly as possible--though I still couldn't get to Sheri's level. I still cannot erase the thin wall between others and me. Distant, calculating, safe.

Still, I got 1 month extension on my probation contract. Not bad, I can do it in a month since time just passes by so quickly. Good thing that I'm expecting to be a regular employee by November so I could get the 3-day leave on December for my parent's anniversary.

***

I saw one of my elementary-highschool batchmate at the lobby of our building today. She's Cathleen Aquino, or Cate. I was pretty suprised to see her and I think she was surprised too. I could see in her eyes that she wasn't able to recognize me instantly, maybe because of my short hair and glasses now compared before that I had long hair and quite a very shy appearance. She was in hot pink. She just told me that she was working in the building too. She told me the name of her company but I didn't quite quite catch since I was also in a hurry.

I've been seeing old aquaintances. A week ago, I saw my Chemistry teacher and sat beside her in a bus. She's now working in a call center company, probably because she needed more money now than before. Call centers could really lure people away from their career. ^_^V
Thinking about it, I think I miss my old friends and acquaintances not only from elementary and highschool but also from college. I got a few good friends but I haven't been able to make contact with them. I guess I have been very busy.

And to think, I told myself before that there's no such thing as being "too busy". And then I was trapped. What a shame...

I want to go out with them sometime. And I still owe Dyan, my closest friend in highschool, a secret.

No comments: